Police Counter Ambush - Airsoft/Sims, Danville Police Department PCA2023-01
until September 22, 2023 16:00
About this course
“The first and best victory is to conquer self.” —Plato
Tragically officers are being ambushed at record levels throughout the United States. Ambush assaults on law enforcement have escalated by over 165% since 2016. We have to teach our officers to recognize and overcome these threats. The Police Counter Ambush Assault Course will challenge officers through force-on-force scenarios to overcome threats while deploying from a patrol vehicle, while seated inside a patrol vehicle, and while in close-quarters scenarios with other potential threats. We have to be prepared to overcome and dominate these ambushes. This course will dramatically increase the officer’s ability to win the assault and return home safely to their family.
What will the student learn?
- Environment and bystander awareness (terrain concerns and escape avenues), controlling space.
- How to escape from Ambush Positions.
- Proper placement of violator(s) and backup units.
- Case law pertinent to police use of force vehicle stops.
What will the student be required to do?
- Make shoot or don’t shoot decisions while overcoming fatigue and a stressful training atmosphere.
- Fight through being attacked by single and multiple opponents in a dynamic and realistic scenario for police officers.
- In dynamic and realistic scenario-based training, officers will be subjected to fighting and shooting airsoft force-on-force drills.
- Think outside the box and consider multiple threats at one time. This training method increases the real-world scenario of continually evolving high-stress situations.
- Accurately examine their mindset and identify areas where they have begun to lose ground physically and psychologically. They will be pushed to their mental and physical limits.
- Successfully address threat(s), gain compliance or control, and maintain situational awareness and mental clarity during these practical exams.
- This course is a hands-on outdoor activity to keep the student engaged and interested in learning concepts to enhance their ability to identify the criminal element, quickly identify it, and be prepared if a lethal force encounter occurs.
Train Hard * Train to Win
This course is very high-level intensity and will challenge the student to consider their personal, physical, and psychological vulnerability and then adapt to and overcome any adversity or threat they are approaching.
Police Counter Ambush is a tactical course requiring high levels of physical exertion. This course will leave you dirty, exhausted, and ultimately fired up about what you just completed!
This course will challenge the student to fight physically and mentally without quitting during scenarios that may feel too intense or overwhelming. They will use techniques and mental mindsets to expand their understanding of tactical counters to life-threatening situations.
If implemented as instructed, the student will be given proven techniques to counter assaults that mentally and physically prepare them for victory in battle.
Student Take Away
- A greater understanding of strategies and tactics to counter potential ambush assaults.
- Develop core techniques to identify, improve, and master tactical skills, leaving the officer mentally and physically prepared to counter ambush assault situations.
- Proven survival training that instills a tactical mindset and fundamentals into a realistic and dynamic course for successfully applying these strategies to real-world police encounters.
- The student will receive a course completion certificate after successfully completing the class.
- (1 day) 7-hour course.
- No Re-certification is required.
Required Course Equipment
Attending students will need to be enrolled individually and online. The student must provide proof of employment by credentials, work-verified email, or authorization from their agency’s training coordinator. All students must be on duty and not forced to attend the training course. Students will be required to complete several liability waivers.
Students are required to bring the following equipment with them to class.
- Duty positioning of their weapon, either full belt or side holster, must be what they wear daily. This training is for how they encounter assailants daily, so uniform of the day (weapon placement only) is required.
- Bulletproof Vest
- OSHA-approved Eye and ear protection.
**No live weapons, chemical agents, or intermediate weapons are allowed in the training area before inspection and clearance by the range safety instructor**
- Master Instructor Trainer for the Strategies & Tactics of Patrol Stops Officer Survival Program. (1 of 3 promoted to this status, out of nearly 4500 S.T.O.P.S Instructors in the United States).
- DPS Close Quarter Combat Instructor (certification through Black Belt Dr. Paul Whitesell)
- Taser International Instructor- for Taser Electronic Control Devices
- Def Tech Distraction Devices-Instructor
- Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT) - Instructor
- Defensive Tactics -Straight baton -Weapon Retention / Disarming techniques
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) - Instructor
- IACP Drug Recognition Expert
- Safe and Legal Traffic Stops (SALTS) - Instructor
- Less than Lethal Deployment Instructor Def-Tech - Instructor
- Def Tech Chemical Agent Aerosol (CN/CS/OC) - Instructor
- Def Tech Chemical Munitions - Instructor
- MarTac Tactical Physical Tactics Instructor
- Use of Force Expert Witness (utilized in Federal and State Courts, and Department Discipline Hearings)
- Police Tactics and Traffic Stops Expert Witness
- NRA Pistol Instructor
- Vice President of Mishawaka Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 96